ITC Level 2 Award in Emergency First Aid at Work (QCF) with additional cycle specific content - 1 day/6+ hours
The Bikeability Instructor First Aid course is specifically designed for the needs of cycling instructors, delivering bikeability training to groups of adults and children in urban or semi urban environments.
This contextualised and highly practical first aid course runs over 7 hours. It covers all the content of the HSE approved and accredited 1 day Emergency First Aid at Work course with additional content adapted to the needs of Bikeability Instructors.
09:00 - 17:00
- Understand the role of the first aider including reference to:
- the importance of preventing cross infection;
- the need for recording incidents and actions;
- use of available equipment;
- Incident Management – assess the situation and circumstances in order to act safely, promptly and effectively in an emergency – the ABC of first aid
- Assessing vital Signs – breathing, level of consciousness, temperature, colour
- Airway Management - administer first aid to a casualty who is unconscious (including seizure)
- Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR)
- Breathing Problems - administer first aid to a casualty who is choking
- Circulation Problems – controlling external bleeding and treatment for shock
- Minor Injuries - provide appropriate first aid for minor injuries (including small cuts, grazes and bruises, minor burns and scalds, small splinters)
- Awareness of current regulations
Additional content for Bikeability Instructors can be adapted to suit individual groups and typically includes awareness of:
- Dealing with upper and lower limb injuries (collarbones, arms, legs, dislocations, fractures, sprains and strains)
- Dealing with chest injuries (i.e fall on handlebar)
- Dealing with 'bangs to the head' (concussion, bleeding head wound)
- Dealing with common medical conditions (asthma, anaphylaxis, diabetes)
- Cycle First Aid Kit
As well as requiring full attendance, each candidate is continually assessed on each section of the programme throughout the day. There is also a short multiple choice questionnaire at the end of the course.
ITC Level 2 Award in Emergency First Aid at Work (QCF) - HSE approved and valid for 3 years
First Aid Training Plus is approved to run HSE first aid training courses under FAAMS Centre Number 1670/96. These courses are accredited by the SQA (Scottish Qualifications Authority) in Scotland, by OfQual in England, Wales and NI and listed on the QCF (Qualification Credit Framework).
How often do I need to be reassessed to keep my training valid?
With this first aid qualification there is a requirement to be retrained every 3 years. Participants take another 1 day EFAW course to re-validate this certificate. In addition the Health and Safety Executive 'highly recommend' that first aiders undergo an annual 3-hour first aid refresher course.
Booking a course
In-house first aid training can be delivered at your venue for groups of up to 12 per instructor. You just need a room (ideally carpeted) that is large enough to seat participants but also to allow them to lie on the floor with enough space to practice simulated incidents in pairs.
For further information about HSE regulations on First Aid in the Workplace download our First Aid at Work guidance sheet.
If you are unsure of the appropriate level of first aid training for you or need a first aid course more specifically tailored to your activities please email or call us on 07818 258799 to discuss your requirements – we are happy to help.
Open Course Dates
There are no open courses scheduled at present – please contact us or call us on 07818 258799 if you require this training.